Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Lead By Example

We've all seen those drivers swerving like there were bumper pads along the side of the road. When we finally get the nerve to pass them, one of the most commons sights today is a young driver frantically texting someone on their cell phone.
I'll mutter under my breath (or sometimes quite above my breath), "What in the world are they doing. Do they have a death wish?" Then it happened...
The other day I was headed home after picking my girls up from school. As I'm driving my phone buzzes. It's my wife emailing to say we're going out for pizza, meet her at the restaurant. I just click reply and... it hit me. My daughters were in the car and I was about to do what I tell parents to discourage their teen drivers from doing - send a text message while driving. This led to this post today.
It is easy to tell your teen driver what to do and what not to do. But am I, as a parent, teaching by example or just being a blow hard. People, and ESPECIALLY teenagers, are very aware when someone is talking one way and behaving another. If you have a teen driver and want them to be safe, responsible, and considerate then don't tell them - show them. I know I will need to work on that, but its worth it.
For great safety and money saving tips, visit www.TeenDriverInsurance.com/AllAmerican.

No comments: